Children Know Best

I went to a care home today, a care home taking care of children who come from special backgrounds. I was there to help up with their homework.

Teaching is something that I'm always reluctant to do, especially when it is dealing with subjects in the school. However, I have to say that I enjoyed the teaching today. I guessed it was because I felt welcomed by the children there. 

When I stepped into the care home, one of the first questions from them was "sister, how did you come? which one is your car?" I was like "what? why are you asking me that?". It didn't sound like a question to me. Without further thinking, I just simply threw an answer, "lorry", I said. Of course, they treated it as a joke.

Teaching started. An Indian girl invited me to sit beside her and she started drawing. After a while, she passed me what she drew and said that it was me. I was like " ermm, the shape is there" and of course followed by a "wow" in my heart. One of the students repeatedly saying why do I like to give lectures to them. They asked answers from me. I insisted them sitting beside me and read what they have written to me to make sure they know what they were writing about. Okay, I was quite strict. When came to teatime, they invited me eat and asked them to eat with them. I asked a student to tidy up his bag, and he did just actually how I told him and his books were all tidied. I guessed he was happy from his face. As I was really weak in multitasking, a student got angry while I was teaching others but she wasn't like those super difficult to be comforted back. She somehow knew that she has to listen to me and I felt the reason behind was just a simple appreciation she has to me. Meanwhile, there were also other students coming and talking to me. 

Something I heard from them was they were really happy because there was a volunteer teacher coming to teach them English for an hour a week and they were excited before the teacher came. "When was the last time I felt excited and grateful towards my teacher?" I was thinking.

Time for me to go home. A student asked again "where is your car?". Now only I knew that they wanted to memorise the car so that they know when I am coming again. 

A simple life I had with them but they taught me to be gratitude over what I have, to rejoice each other company.  They are wonderful because they were able to enlighten the day of their new friend. 

Comments

Popular Posts