Long awaiting pending post - Into the Journey of Two


I believe most girls have a little dream of walking down the aisle on their wedding day, and I had one too. I imagined walking down the aisle in the church, receiving the Holy Communion together with my husband – it seemed perfect and wonderful.

However, reality didn't present itself that way. My husband wasn't a Catholic or a Christian. As a result, we were only offered a blessing in the church. Though it would be a brief ceremony, it was essential for me to receive this sacrament as a Catholic (mostly for my sake). Looking back six years ago, he told me that he would stay in his religion as he wasn't ready to convert after a year of trial. At that moment, it felt like my dream wedding was being torn apart. However, this man that I fell in love with was such a lively and lovely person, and I realised that I should love him more than any materialistic romance could offer. I decided to accept him for who he was, acknowledging that God grants freedom to all of us, and I respected his choice (and quietly patted myself for making that sacrifice).

After the proposal, COVID-19 struck. The pandemic affected everyone's lives significantly, even against our will. We faced the fear of the unknown the disease carries and wondered how the world would be after the pandemic passed. Everything seemed to be rearranged. Mr. Yap surprised me one day by asking for help to enroll in an online RCIA course. It was a mix of fear, disbelief, and hope, but we embarked on the one-year RCIA journey together.

Half way through the journey, my friends asked about any emotional realization or mystical encounter between him and God, I couldn't give a definitive answer. It seemed like a normal process to me. I didn't fully understand what drove him to take up the RCIA journey. I had long stopped seeking reasons, and my faith was always limited. Despite seeing him dozing off and getting distracted in some virtual classes, I also noticed little changes in his life that showed his growing connection with God. Somehow, his journey made me love God even more, as he shared how he related to God.

Before his baptism, I asked him several times if he was sure about it. One day, he appeared with teary, red and swollen eyes, saying that he was touched by what the letter written as he felt like it was from Jesus. Although I read that letter but didn't fully grasp its significance, I felt as if Jesus was trying to communicate in a subtle way.

Mr. Yap was baptised on Easter Day, April 16, 2022. His sponsor was Valerie, my cousin and an influential person in my life. When Mr. Yap initially told me he wasn't ready to become a Christian, I went to Valerie for support. When he invited her to be his sponsor, some family members were skeptical and questioned her credibility (haha). Little did they know that Valerie had been praying for and supporting us throughout our journey, and the pieces had already been connected by a mastermind.

Finally, my dream of having a wedding MASS came true. Mr. and Mrs. Yap received Holy Communion together during the mass. Back to the time I knelt in front of the altar, gazing at the crucifix with Jesus' eyes closed, I asked Him why my love and joy in Him could not be shared. Little did I know that He was listening and had answered my prayer, ensuring that nothing was missed out.

I pray for more and more graces fall and grow in our life of marriage.

Comments

Popular Posts