What?! You wanted to be a nun before?

My good friend has finally drawn back to the calling of God, to be a nun. For us Catholics, it is always good to find a time for discernment from time to time in our lives. So often we spend time in contemplating and planning for what we want in our career in certain frame of time, but sometimes we do not actually discern ourself for our vocation, or simply what we normally called as God's calling.

In general, vocation is a calling from God to live up our lives meaningfully. We have been created due to outpouring love of God. Simply, the question is how can we live up this meaning of LOVE. Three general vocations mentioned are to be called for consecrated life (priests or nuns or missionaries), to get married (one's hubby or darling) and to be single. We don't be what we are now by chance. As we move on with life, we will realise there seems to be checkpoints in our own timeline. Whenever we reach this checkpoint, we will start to decide which kind of life we want. Do I want to get married? Do I want to be single? What can I do to live up our life with purpose?  Some people may choose to follow the stream or routine of their lives. At the end, you might be lost half way and realise this might not be what you like.

Making decision is not easy. It requires a lot sacrifices. It is time-consuming. Things doesn't come in just one spark of inspiration, okay, not always. You have to find, to discover and to reveal the secret one by one. To discern God's calling requires prayers and consistency. Something I realise is that to live in the Church is very important in order to know that. The ideologies generated by the society and the ease of living in routine life are just so powerful that you will slowly forget about your intention for discernment. It is important to live in the Church, as in to be active with the programmes or societies in the Church because you will be constantly rejuvenated with new ideas, inspirations and new perspectives that will make you grow in faith. The most important is that it helps you to journey into the very core of you, and find God in this secret garden and you will be able to talk to Him.

So now back to the question, my friend asked me if I have still have the ngiam to be a nun? What was I feeling or experiencing when I was so much drawn into this discernment exercise?

I have almost forgotten all these because I was so busy in work, so much busy in equipping myself for my work and so much people to entertain. My wants for money and power aren't any lesser also.
To help my friend, I have to dig through my memory...why was I so much moved by Spirit? Why was I the VERONICA before?

I told her...
God did speak to me from time to time, maybe not directly, but it gave me surprises that I know they were for me only. However, if girls are always attracted to beautiful things, I think God has moved me by making me attracted to myself. In prayers and sharing, I have learned that God sees me beautifully standing in front of Him and He is happy. He says that He will make beautiful things from me. He allowed me to see the beauty in others (they are as beautiful as me too), in everyone that He has loved and he wants me to continue to love and to share all his love with these people. God said all is good when he had created them, and all is really good and He never gives up on anyone. Then I feel SAD, because I could see some people in the world are feeling sad because they have no hope or they never have hope. I want to bring them this hope, I want to join others who are already bringing this hope to them. God is beautiful.

That was one of the vague parts that I could remember. I would try to recall them back. Hope that this sharing might help you too.




Comments

Popular Posts